Friday, November 21, 2014

Butterfly Dreamer

Hi Everyone

Monica here with a music themed project for you this week....

I have had this music box since my daughter was a baby, and she is almost 21 now. I decided to use this as the base for my project.

Here is the before....

and here is the after....

And here's how I did it...........

The first thing I did was gesso my piece with Art Anthology Gesso.

I bought some vintage music sheets at an antique store. Got them home and got out my Art Anthology Colorations Sprays in Peacock Feathers, Guacamole, Salted Caramel.

I randomly misted the paper until I got the look I was wanting...

While the mists were drying, I put a a couple of base coats of Art Anthology Metal Effects in Bronze on the music box.

After the mists dried, I tore the sheets of music then applied them around the top and the sides of the music box with a decopodge medium.

I misted the drawer fronts with Art Anthology Colorations Spray in Cinnamon Toast and let that dry. I then decopaged music paper to the fronts.

I covered a wooden spool in gesso, then painted over that with Art Anthology Sorbet Dimensional Paint in Veridian.
I then randomly applied Art Anthology Stone Effects in Bone. I went over that a bit more with the Veridian, but left some of the stone color showing.

I then used Art Anthology Colorations spray in Raider and sprayed up by the top closely so it would drip. Then I added some random areas of Art Anthology Metal Effects in Gold. I wanted it to look like aged copper...I love how it came out.

Next I stamped a butterfly on another piece of the music sheet, then painted the wings with Art Anthology Velvet Dimensional Paint in Tango. I left the edges of the wings unpainted. To color those I misted on the Art Anthology non stick awesome mat, and used a paint brush to absorb the color and color in the outside edges of the wings with Art Anthology Colorations Spray in Peacock Feathers.

I coated the front of the butterfly with glossy accents.

I wrapped wire around a metal key and stuck that down in the hole of the wooden spool then glued the center of the butterfly to the back of the key.

I glued the wooden spool with the butterfly to the top of the music box.
I used a punch for some smaller butterflies on the drawer fronts and on the spool on top...

Here are some shots of the finished piece.

Ive decided to call it Butterfly Dreamer instead of Beautiful Dreamer...
Thanks for stopping by today to have a look...


  1. What a fabulous makeover Monica!! I love that you used that vintage sheet music!! Gorgeous!! xo

    1. Thanks Jackie...Im very happy with how it turned out